On May 8, 1945 the national holiday ‘Victory in Europe Day’ (VE Day) was declared in Britain – the day on which allied forces announced the surrender of Germany in Europe – Churchill gained reassurance that there were enough supplies in the capital and people could purchase and line the streets with red, white and blue bunting, with street parties being held across the country.
As one of the UK’s favourite pork pie brands, Pork Farms has been producing pork pies for more than 80 years and there’s no better way to celebrate this holiday than with a classic British snack. Whether you’re having a picnic in the garden or hanging bunting around your home, we’ve got some great ways to celebrate VE Day during lockdown.
Celebrate VE Day in style
- Decorate your own bunting and flags to hang around your house and back garden
- Don’t forget your two minutes silence at 11am, to remember those who lost their lives in the war
- Whip up a retro inspired lunch or picnic – try our Mini Pork and Branston Topped Pies with cheeses, piccalilli, cold meats, English mustard and pickled onions
- Tune in to BBC at 3pm to hear the historic VE Day speech from Winston Churchill – the speech the nation heard 75 years ago
- Host your own VE Day lockdown party in your garden with your household – or even host it with wider family and friends on a video call
- The Queen herself will be giving a special address to the nation at 9pm – the exact time her father, King George VI, spoke to the UK 75 years ago
You can buy our selection of pork pies from Asda, Tesco and convenience shops around the UK.