As we say bye to January and welcome in February, we are one step closer to the end of winter, with less than two months to go! We’ve decided not to hibernate under the stairs until then, but to embrace it, taking inspiration from the Danes with the increasingly popular Hygge trend!
Hygge (pronounced ‘hoo-gah’, yes… we struggled too!) is a new way of living, announced by Danes as the secret to a happy existence. The trend has crossed The North Sea and taken the UK by storm, so we were keen to find out more:
Hygge is the Danish art of making the most of the winter dark nights by enjoying the simple things – they believe a de-cluttered life leads to a de-cluttered mind – where do we sign up?!
Think roaring fires, naturally scented candles, good wholesome food and most integral to the Hygge way of life is to be surrounded by family and friends. It has been said that Danes are considered the happiest people in the world, so along with our fellow Brits, we decided to research some top tips on ‘how to go Hygge’:
- Invest in candles, incense, – enjoy the scents and hypnotic flickering light, the perfect relaxed Hygge atmosphere
- Indulge and take time to savour good wholesome food – we’ve already ticked that box with our comforting Pork Farms pies
- Embrace the dull, dreary weather – raining outside? Perfect! Grab a book and curl up on the sofa under a blanket
- Take up a new hobby or practice an old one
- Treat yourself to some Hygge loungewear – think warm, loose clothes to get you in the Hygge vibe
- Most importantly, Hygge is best enjoyed with friends and family – gather them around for a few drinks, a bite to eat or enjoy a fresh winter walk
So there you have it, the key to kicking those winter blues and who knows, the cold seasons may soon become your favourite….
Happy Hygge’ing everyone!